Wednesday, January 04, 2006

One day post-op

7.56 in the morning after the op. My back aches - I've been sleeping in the same position all night. I've got a cotton shoulder bag containing my drain and trendy white stockings.
I was told yesterday that I was 3rd on the list. Should have the op around lunchtime. Nothing to eat or drink since midnight (I did contemplate a pre midnight feast...). I can cope with not eating (honest!), but it's the lack of early morning cup of tea that's the killer. I even got P to bring me in some Earl Grey tea bags yesterday. Anyway, just before 10 yesterday, I was sitting twiddling my thumbs and developing a headache, when they came to take me to theatre, having changed the lists. Quick change into gown and stockings, gulped down my pre meds and wheeled down various different coloured corridors. The turning circle on a bed is quite big, and judging by the state of the corners of the walls, not all the porters make the manoeuvre successfully (my porter was a skilled one though).
Into the anaesthetic room accompanied by a 1st year student who did a very good job of reassurance and gentle chit chat. Got various press studs glued to me my a chap with 'Smile Jesus loves you' tattooed to his arm. I kept my eyes open as long as I could, and went under round about 10.15
By the time P came to visit I had surfaced enough to converse. I feel far better than after my abdominal ops: laughing, coughing and sitting up are all fine.
It's now 10am, I’ve been seen by the breast care nurse and put my bra on (not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be) and given my exercises: basic range of movement of my left shoulder. Not too uncomfortable, just need to make sure I remember to do them.
I'm in a large ward, 16 beds, but remarkably quiet at night. The sinks in the bathrooms are tiny, so cleaning teeth is awkward. However we have internet access, telephones and TV at the bedside... mind you, the hospital gets money from this. It costs us 10p a minute to ring out, but anyone ringing me has to pay 49p a minute. If anyone is feeling rich, Paul has the number. This morning I tried to make a phonecall, and it wouldn’t connect me, then said I had £4600 in my account. I should have tried to get my card refund!
Latest estimate of release is tomorrow or Friday... depending on when they take the drain out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home