Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Results... and Trials

Paul and I spend all of yesterday afternoon at the breast clinic. We had 3 consultations, 4 hot drinks, 2 buns and one lost handbag (I lost and found my handbag at almost exactly the same time as another punter who had been in the next bed to me in hospital lost and found hers. I think there's a black hole in the clinic somewhere.)

First Consultation: Had my scars checked by Breast Care Nurse and fluid drained from under the arm. 450mls worth. No wonder I was finding it uncomfortable to sleep. Unfortunately the fluid is building up again. P tells me I was walking around looking like C3PO. There's nothing like encouragement! Apparently this is all perfectly normal, and I am recovering well. I've got good range of movement in my shoulder (though I'm sure a few sessions of hydrotherapy wouldn't go amiss: if anyone at work needs a little practice?).

Second Consultation: With the surgeon. The surgery went well, they got all of the cancer and precancerous cells, took out 20 lymph nodes of which one was cancerous - this means that it had begun to spread. This seemed to be on the good side of what they expected for my age(no lymph node involvement would be better).

Third Consultation: With the Oncologist. Basically I will be having Chemotherapy: normally this is over 7 months, but I can take part in a clinical trial which would shorten it to about 4 1/2 months. Then I'll get radiotherapy. I've got to have various blood tests and the like first, and we'll go back next Monday to discuss the details.

Meanwhile, E has a bad cold and a bit of a temperature. We stayed at home today and watched Cbeebies all morning. Quite how I'm going to manage during Chemo when I'm supposed to avoid infection I don't know. E seems to be starting on getting all the Brummie infections, having exhausted all the Black Country ones.

There's a load more technical info which I shall post in a separate post once I've got my head round it a bit. Or you can look at Paul's blog, which he is typing at the mo, which probably says much the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home