Saturday, February 04, 2006

Shorter hair, but still upright!

I've got through to Saturday night, and I'm still in one piece. I've finished most of my medication this time round, except for the antibiotics which have begun tasting horrible. So far I've got away with feeling a little bit sick occasionally, somewhat tired, and a dry mouth. We had went to Frankie and Bennies rather than our normal Balti last night as a concession to my stomach.
Paul is currently uploading photos from last Wednesday. Louise came up for the day to assist with wig shopping and hair cutting, along with absently rearranging the contents of the fridge in a spare moment (one shelf for dairy, one for meat...).
The wig place is very plush and private, with pleasant staff. I discussed my current hairstyle with 'Tina' (ie, no style, no hassle).. the words she used most often in describing it were 'disheveled' and 'messy': I'm not sure if that was entirely the message I intended to get over!
The wigs all looked very convincing (have a look yourselves!) but I'm not sure Tina was totally impressed at my request to try on the long blond wig. It has to be done though. I was advised to go for one with a bit of a fringe, otherwise the 'wiggy' bit would show, and I can't just tie my hair back now (more 'wiggy' bits), so a shorter style was in order. The colour match was very good too (not with all the wigs I tried on, but they could have ordered them...) except they missed out the white hairs.
One of the wigs was even called 'Lucy' but that one was a bit too curly.
In the end we narrowed it down to two: one that looked like my hair when it has just been cut, and the other that looked more like my hair does after I've washed it, gone to bed with it wet and then brushed it. However, the neat style took less effort as a wig than the messy style, which has to be styled and arranged to have just the right amount of messiness. We arranged for Paul and Eleanor to come the following day to have their say.
Then back to Brum for the haircut. I'd told the hairdresser I wanted two appointments, one for a restyle, one for a trim. I explained when I got there how radical the restyle was to be. She took it well, though I don't think chopping off long hair is the task she looked forward to. She did an excellent job, and I now have a short and funky hairstyle... the shortest it's been since I was about 6 (I can still remember being mistaken for a boy by a bus driver in the mid 70's!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home